Our teachers are Mr Maxted (5M) and Miss White (5W). Our teaching assistants are Mrs Tyagi and Mrs Boyes.
- All of Year 5 will take part in PE every Thursday. PE kits must be worn on this day and must consist of navy shorts or jogging bottoms and the correct colour t-shirt. No logos please.
- Reading records will be collected and checked on a Friday.
- Spelling tests will take place on a Friday.
Term 4 Learning - Class Links
This section is for children's use in class - links will be added and can also be explored at home.
Purple Mash School Login Page: https://www.purplemash.com/sch/wheatfield-bs32
English & Reading
In our English lessons this term, our writing will be based around our class book 'Clockwork' by Philip Pullman. If you want to find out more about our focus author, check out our author map HERE. Our writing this term will take us through a range of genres - from mystery stories and atmospheric setting writing to discussion and instruction texts.
In our reading sessions, we will be exploring our class text in a deeper way with thorough annotations of chapters. We will also spend time thinking about comparisons and connections to other mystery based fiction writing. For more information on our chosen class book click HERE to view our book map.
During the Spring term, we will be covering the following objectives in our maths lessons:
- Multiplication & Division – Multiplying up to 4 digits x 2 digits and dividing a 4 digit number by 1 digit, including remainders
- Fractions – Equivalent fractions, comparing and ordering, converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions, adding and subtracting, finding fractions of an amount and multiplying by fractions
- Decimals & Percentages – understanding tenths, hundredths and thousandths, rounding and converting between fractions, decimals and percentages
Our Year 5 Fluency expectations are as follows:
Number bonds to 10 and 100
Addition and subtraction within 1000
Count forwards and backwards in powers of 10 up to a million
Timestables and division facts up to 12x12
10, 100, 1000, 10 000, 100 000 more or less than
Factors and multiples
Count through 0 to negative numbers
Doubles and halves
Square, cube and prime numbers
Practising these will help your child feel secure and confident in maths. If you would like more information about any of these, or some suggestions for activities to do at home, please get in touch with Mr Maxted or Miss White.
Children need to continue learning for their maths planets; alongside continued practice of times table and related division facts. Maths Planets will be tested each Friday and multiplication grids will be completed throughout the week.
We ask that you read with your child 5 times a week. This only needs to be a 10 minute session and you don’t have to finish a whole book every time. We will be continuing with our ‘Reading Challenge’, so make sure you record each read in their log book as this will contribute.
Reading does not have to be limited to the books children bring home from school. It can include any books they have at home, reads with siblings or reading books from the local library.
Spelling: Children are given a list of spellings at the start of each term, which will be tested each week. These spellings are in their homework book - click HERE for an online PDF version.
Children are also expected - by the end of Y6 - to be confident in the Y5 and 6 Statutory spellings. You may want to practise these at home with your child too. You can find these below:
If you have any urgent queries which cannot be answered after school or by making an appointment then contact us via the school office:
School Gateway app